Monday 31 January 2011

A time to rend, a time to sew


So I've been doing loads of hand sewing in lieu of owning a sewing machine. This is one of a pair of cushions I've made. They're (partly) deliberately not too measured or straight which I do quite like. The satin ribbon ended up quite puckered but the green velvet ribbon I added at the top (just seen) was a really nice textured addition. It was also a great learning experience for me as I've never done this much sewing in my life. Next I want to practice hand applique before I move up to using a real life sewing machine. My great-gran and my gran were both wardrobe mistresses in various theatres around Edinburgh and could whip up pretty much any frothy, ruffled and ribboned concoction I dreamed of when I was a wee girl. By comparison my fairly shoddy hand sewn cushion is hardly impressive but I have to admit to feeling a little proud!

On another unrelated note a favourite website of mine is the national fairground archive - it features the most beautiful old photos and designs. I love the idea of people inventing their own rides and just getting out the spanner to create them. The mechanics and design must have taken incredible skill. I also like the articles about the tacky airbrushed illustrations you get on the side of these rides and how they arguably act as contemporary gargoyles or totems.

Anyway here's the website... http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/  and here's a picture from it...


No comments:

Post a Comment