Monday 17 January 2011

Wanted: a needle swift enough to sew this poem into a blanket. ~Charles Simic

I've spent the last day and a half with some knitting - and several firsts - first knitted doll, first time embroidering a face (tricky!). I started the blog as a semi-anonymous way to keep track of craft projects and hopefully to be able to look back and see some sort of progress over time. It's also a nice way to keep track of photos and articles I enjoy over the year.

Here's my little knitted doll before being given a face, posing amongst the rice ...

 I've been re-reading (or reading non-academically for the first time) The Second Sex with its new chapter which I'm thoroughly enjoying. It's encouraged me to read over some feminist articles I've enjoyed over the past few years - this one, about old wives tales, is pretty hard to beat:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/may/15/germaine-greer-old-wives-tales

It had a great story about a doll that emits golden coins - I could do with some golden coins this month but the doll's a present for my friends wee girl who's coming over for a sleepover in a week or so.

The dolls face didn't turn out too bad for a first time - I definitely think less is more and it could have been much worse!

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to add a link to the pattern...

    http://www.allaboutyou.com/craft/rag-doll-knitting-pattern/v1

    ReplyDelete